Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sorbet in seconds (and sugar free)


So I had some left over fruit salad in the freezer and it's a nice hot day and I'm tiered after a long day and felt like something refreshing. Sorbet!

I broke up about a cup of the frozen fruit (which was strawberry, paw paw and orange) with a knife into smaller pieces. I added a 1/4 cup of maple syrup (you could also use honey, golden syrup or agave nectar). I added two sachets of the new aspartame free Canderel, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1/4 cup of water and blended it up with my stick blender. It took a little work to get through the frozen fruit but with a gentle bouncing rhythm and a bit of stirring it around with a spoon it transformed into the perfect soft sorbet to be eaten right away.

For a firmer sorbet, you could freeze it for 30 minutes or so. If it is fully frozen you would need to leave it out the freezer for 15 minutes or so for it to soften before serving it. This would also be perfect to pour into kids ice lolly shapes and freeze.

Never throw left over fruit salad or fruit which is about to turn, away. Peel it, chop it and freeze into a smaller portions for smoothies or sorbet or daiquiris.


2 comments:

  1. Try using Xylitol instead of Canderel - its the best thing Iv ever discovered! No after taste and totally natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried it a few times in my tea and hated it - but have used it in baking at a clients house and it's been great. Will be certain to add it to my shopping list and give it another try.

      Delete